donderdag 12 juli 2012
Column | Awoken From Anjunabeats
I was almost enchanted with Anjunabeats last year. I dare to say that almost every release was an instant classic for me. Arty, Mat Zo, Above & Beyond...New artist came into my life and filled it with joy again. This year feels completely different. I don't have that same passion for Beats anymore, already after a year. There have been certain releases and support for certain tracks that completely go against my personal beliefs. I have become cynical to certain chooses that are being made on the label, negative about almost half the new tracks. Disaster? No, I feel like I have evolved musically, which is a very special development in the life of the music listener that should be cherished with passion. How you ask? Let me start at the beginning.
I'm not ashamed to say I just started following Beats since 2010, because I did a trip in the past listening to almost any release ever since I enjoyed myself so much with this label. Especially now I know where the label has come from, I feel this year as a sudden plunge in identity and cleverness as I've said earlier. There was a certain Norin & Rad remix of a Trance classic that did the most damage, but it was so ridiculously awful that I look at it as a blooper instead of a radical change in direction.
Why I hated it so much? As I said earlier, I've come to learn and understand the basics of Trance. When you know where the current "2.0" music originally come from, you can't help but feel inferior to the fanbase of that time. Classic Trance stands for something more than just beats, as is now the case with the current state of the label. That "2012 update" could be viewed upon as a mistake, releases like "Eventide", "Tenerife", "Pistol Whip" have no substance at all. The curious thing is, that where I expected to see massive negativity around that Norin & Rad update, I actually see a lot of commenters defending it and giving it a stellar rating.
Then it struck me: I was one of those guys a couple of years ago. When I didn't took the time to learn about the classic trance scene, I was euphoric about beats. Now, where I used to enjoy every release that came out, I now find myself rarely excited for non A&B releases on this label. All the fans they are reeling in now are House heads, who have abandoned their scene because of the cheese and the pop, and finally have a place for their big room tracks. But most of them, like me, will find their way to "Caffeine", "Alba", "Aria Epica" ect. and be shocked about what they've been missing out on. I myself had such a moment. A while ago after the ASOT event concerning Classic Trance and just recently with Deep-House after understanding the power of the genre via Dusky.
People change, people grow towards a more adult stage. The music that beats is currently releasing for the most part doesn't fit with a developed mind. I dare to say it, yet it's true; Trance is for musically grown up individuals. Tracks from Norin & Rad is kids music. I wouldn't know how anyone could find emotions in a track like Pistol Whip or that awful remix. Younger people have less need for more difficult music like trance or deep progressive, and more craving for simple music like Norin & Rad. As long as there is a drop, it's "Genius".
It's not the musical orientation of a new generation that's different, it's the target audience of Anjunabeats that has changed.
And I don't know if I can join that ride much longer.
PS: May I add that it's good to see that Anjunadeep is moving in opposite direction of Beats and has set sail for higher level sounds with their deep house releases, which take more time and effort to fully enjoy. I can tell you, you will have way more satisfaction and feel more complete as an music listener when you're able to enjoy albums as "Stick By This" or "Supermarket".

Geen opmerkingen:
Een reactie posten