zondag 24 juni 2012

Column | ☆☆☆




So it has come to this.;It completely caught me off guard really. So now that the dust has settled, what's there to say?

I strongly believe that whether you adored them for their unique quality or despised them for their huge part in the generalisation of House, I think many of us are going to miss their presence for the same reason. Their input, again whether loved or hated, always shook things up a bit. Their dubious and daring move to "Commercial" dance music, seems to unleash the best discussions with their every move. Just look at this other rather quite forum suddenly bursting into arguments.

Personally, I'm confident that a name as "Swedish House Mafia" will often come to my mind in the following couple of months. I've got to know them as individuals that brought their talents together to strive for electronic perfection, who unfortunately choose the direction of glamour when given the financial opportunity. Although their act was going downhill, I've always felt connected to them non the less. Because in good times and bad in bad, they always remained the three great individuals who accompanied my youth.

Their are almost too many great moments to choose from. Who can forget when "Leave The World Behind"  together with Lucas was conquering the, at that time, passionate dance community. Or who doesn't have great memories when "One" set new boundaries for worldwide success of House everywhere. It is a great thing to have lived in an era where you had your own pioneers of your genre, setting bars and limitations around the world. Yet, I will probably be reminded of the recent bad times the most. I don't think I need to explain why "One"s success, ironically their greatest track under their group name, changed everything.

It seemed as how further they rose to the top, how more basic their act and music became. The once so highly respected dance pioneers, turned into every day businessman. Suddenly, teasers of teasers of teasers popped up. Retweets were being demanded, merchandise grew to a level of keychains and sunglasses..Their sets..their sets seemed to die out as well, together with their passion for the scene. Because when originality, creativity and cleverness in your expressed art needs to back down for a firework show...what's really left of you as an artist?

The new music made me change my godlike adaptation of the Swedes. Where I once had them on the highest pillar on my virtual EDM temple, I was now forced to look at them like a commercial pop group. "They have the chance to write history, they have the chance to dominate the world's music charts. Who doesn't want to take such oppurtunity"? I thought to myself. It was the only way to justify the moral codes that were being broken by my favourite heroes of the past.

So now this act, this corrupted pop group-act has come to a bitter and inglorious end. I must say I was rather shocked, even slightly miserable for a while. But after one night of some good thinking I can only conclude this is for the best. This will only increase the slim chance of my heroes climbing back to their pillars without carrying the weight of un-satisfiable business contracts on their backs. Yet, if this indeed the true end of the Swedish House Mafia story, I will not forget the huge life-energy it has brought into this otherwise duller world of electronic dance music.

From "One" to "Don't You Worry Child", it has been a true pleasure.


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten