With Luke performing only an average three times in my homecountry, The Netherlands, I simply had to visit his Super You & Me event in Amsterdam. Together with some friends and a lot of guys from the Laidback Luke forum, this evening turned out to be the best night out I've ever experienced!
Masked and ready for the big dress up that makes these Super You & Me events so legendary, I found myself feeling lost the club scene once again. Club Air, known for it's modern and innovative approach to the clublife, presented a new way of transferring funds. With this card (see below) it you're one scan away from your refreshing beverages!
Fully refreshed, it was time to hit the club-spaces of Air. The evening of the mainstage was planned to be kicked off by Mixmash her wunderkind, Sandro Silva. Congorock would take over at midnight, but only to warm up for the only true hero of the evening: Laidback Luke himself!
When we arrived at Sandro's set, the still empty dancefloor made us take a look in AIR2. Around that time, fellow forummembers Ette Croquette and Zatarra were spinning in a forum filled disco-esque room. From Daft Punk to Edbanger tracks, the guys gave a better warm up than I could have ever hoped for from any other dj.
At around 00:30, Congorock showed his masked face to the curious crowd below him. I don't remember Congorock ever being in The Netherlands before, and for me it was obviously the first time I'd ever seen him play. Looking back, I really don't know what to make of it. It was the perfect warm-up set before the giant Luke, but nothing more. He played pretty non congorock-ish tracks that didn't fit in the atmosphere around someone like him. His own tracks went off pretty hard damn hard though! Classics like "Babylon" and his "One" remix got the crowd up on their feet in no time! It was when he started to play these tracks alongside "Ivory" and "Sirius" that the evening really started!
But then, the man of the hour, Lucas van Scheppingen a.k.a. superhero Laidback Luke started his set. Dressed as the mighty Thor, Luke dropped his brand new remix for Madonna on the starstruck people below. From there on, the night became one of the best I've ever had. Luke is known for deciding his tracklist on the spot and apparently he saw that this majority of the crowd was ready to go insane, because he continued with one of the phattest tracks of 2012: "Troll".
![]() |
| Luke playing the sickest set I've ever heard as the mighty "Thor" |
| Two partners in crime on the left and me, masked and mysteriously half hidden on the right! |
But with the help of forum admin Croquette, a 320 version of the classic gem was dropped into Luke's inbox. But since I hadn't heard from him since, I was sure the track wouldn't be played. His tracks "Speak Up" and "Natural Disaster" found a way, together with a lot of his remixes. At one moment, I just had to know if he remembered. So as the asshole as I am, I hold up my phone with the following text message in front of his booth.
![]() |
| The infamous note page from my phone |
If that wasn't enough, the headhoncho closed with his forthcoming monster track, "Cambodia"! I have been waiting a very long time for this one, and I was pleasantly surprised to hear it getting playtime. Now that I've heard it's astounding groove and melody, I want it even more now!
With the thought of this probably being the Laidback Luke single of the year, I jumped away on the last beats of my hero on a dancefloor I will not soon forget. Almost exhausted, the dreaded silence that meant the end of the Luke show appeared. It was time to go since the trains at the station were leaving. After one last glimpse to Luke and Club Air, I was certain thas this has been the best dj set in my life.
After Luke, I went home extremely satisfied and still overwhelmed with the amount of awesomeness I had just experienced. This night is still vibrating in my head as I'm typing this and I won't soon forget it...
| Nothing beats the first rays of sun on your face during the walk home after a perfect night of clubbing... |
Below is a video that sums up this fantastic evening in 10 unjustifiable but good minutes of awesomeness! Oh, the memories...

.jpg)


Geen opmerkingen:
Een reactie posten