dinsdag 30 augustus 2011

Why the DJ Mag is bullshit


I won't make it a too long story, but I get a little bit overflown with DJ Mag bullshit lately. Look, I have nothing against their intentions. It is, no would be, quite interesting to see DJ's compete with each other. Yes would, because the whole thing failed from the beginning. Mainly because 9 out of 10 people who vote, vote for their favorite producer. Since trance has the biggest fanbase...well I don't even have to explain anymore.

Anyways, the whole point of the DJ Mag is the live performance of the artist in question. And once again, I wouldn't have made a topic about it if I didn't get that DJ Mag crap thrown in my face every single day.

Now let's look at last year's top list:

Top 10
1. Armin van Buuren
2. David Guetta
3. Tiƫsto
4. Deadmau5
5. Above & Beyond
6. Paul van Dyk
7. Gareth Emery
8 .Markus Schulz
9. Ferry Corsten
10. Axwell

11 t/m 100
11. ATB
12. Sander van Doorn
13. Infected Mushroom
14. Steve Angello
15. Dash Berlin
16. Sebastian Ingrosso
17. Laidback Luke
18. Judge Jules
19. Afrojack
20. Aly & Fila
21. Fedde le Grand
22. Carl Cox
23. Swedish House Mafia
24. Cosmic Gate
25. Bobina

Alright, as I said before, a trance guy is number one. I can sort of rationalize that by sayg they play crowds nearing and surpassing the 10.000 people. It's pretty impressive to move such a crowd every single time. Tiesto and Armin van buuren move masses with their music, and show in their radio shows, they have the heart to find new exciting stuff for their sets, nobody has heard about. The rest of the trance sets are utterly boring. You're lucky if you get to hear 10 tracks in two hours.

Spot 3, Guetta? GUETTA?!

His musical pieces aside, have you ever heard this guy live? I did, and I wish I haven't...The most obvious tracks, mixed every 5 or 6 minutes or so. 90% of his crowd consist of drunk mtv people who don't give a shit about house music. How they managed to take the time to vote is a miracle..o wait, every facebook,twitter page you dare to go to, you get smacked in the face by a banner or promo video. Even my mail isn't safe from this madness. Utter bullshit.

Moving on...Tiesto and deadmau5. No problems against Tiesto, well deserved spot for him. But deadmau5? A guy that plays the same tracks over and over. A guy that uses almost nothing but premixed tracks for his effects to synchronize?? Don't get me wrong, random album title was one of the best things I've ever heard, but the guy himself even claims he isn't a dj. What is he doing in the DJ top 100??? ON SPOT 4?! Madness...

trance trance trance trance trance AXWELL! Solid entertainer. Put's heart into his sets as well as lesser known stuff (Arty for example, though is he's now becoming a colossus. Also a great performer by the way.). trance, trance...Sander Van Doorn! Loved him at sensation. Knows what the crowd wants, uses own private bootlegs and edits. should be in the top 5, but that's only reserved for trance.

Steve angello. Was wicked on the size party I went too this year, but many claim he uses prerecorded sets, and if you watch some footage...wow. Not a very nice gesture to the crowd. Still he stands proudly at 14.

Now to conclude my rant, Luke is on 17. One of the few guys who actually tries to entertain people with his risky, fast, and incredible mixing skills. His sets usually contain 25 to 35 tracks. That's worth for your money. That's a dj that you would like to visit. Should be number one in my opinion. Ah...well.

And still, when I get into a discussion about an artist, people will tell me off with this list. Like it or not, this list has grown from international dj rating system to international PRODUCER rating system. Because many vote for the artist they like the best, but the other half votes for the dj they liked the most live, you get a misguided mess.

I voted, and I've voted for my favourite live performers.

1. Laidback Luke (duh.)
2. Axwell ((Like I said, axwell tries to be innovative in his sets, by using some underground tracks, some old (classic) ones and he uses both own and others mashups to keep things fresh)
3. Mat Zo (works incredibly hard to make solid sets)
4. Arty (uses a perfect combination of raving trance techno and house to get the crowd on their feet. Best "trouse" dj till date)
5. Sander Van Doorn (ROCKED sensation. His tracks are not very underground, but always hit the spot)

Actually became a little long...

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten