donderdag 3 januari 2013

The Fossil (Week 01) | No One On Earth



This first classic to graze these winterfields is one of the many classic I discovered through Above & Beyond.  Only a fan from them until 2011, I missed out quite a lot so it seems. There is an incredible amount of stunning vocal tracks by these guys that I just started discovering. Apart from the many Tri State tracks, the trio have some great material before that debut album as well. Last night, when I was cycling home in the middle of the night, I happened to turn on their 2004 Essential Mix. It was one of those cycling rides where music sounds extremely infectious, bike rides I used to have a lot. Since I've decided to swap the public transit for the bike to get in shape, I was hoping for these kinds of mesmerizing journeys to happen once again! It did thanks to this track.

No One On Earth is not a love song, it's too simply a description for a track like this. No One On Earth is a tribute to the deepest form of love. Spiritual love, where lust and shallow love have no business. Love that ignites by what can't be seen with the naked eye. I happened to have finished "Extaze" by Louis Coupercus only a few hours ago. In that book, he describes the ultimate form of two humans connecting, forming a bond so strong that "earthly" matters as affection and earth is an unspeakable subject. Throughout that book, this track resonated with every 20 pages or so that I read. The purity of the love in the book resembles the tone of Zoe's vocals on this track. She never literary describes her love or affection, but nods to a higher state of spiritual bond. At least that's the way it comes over to me.

Tracks like this remind me that love songs can definitely be from the heart. So often is the word love, a powerful word, misused, violated if you will, by clueless labels and their artist. It's a subject that deserves utter most discretion and care, something Above & Beyond know all about.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten