I've been approaching a lot of artist with a negative thought these past couple of years. Guetta for being a sellout, Swedish House Mafia for being too commercial, Avicii for no reason really, Swankytunes for making too many sampled tracks... The list goes on.
All this negativity...It took a while, but finally I see how useless negativity is. It's hard to explain, but plainly it comes to this: It will ruin your enjoyment, you will find in music.
The guys mentioned above are artist I never really wanted to appreciate. I choose to not like them, for such stupid reasons. I blamed them for making a rich living. For being "too" successful really. It really feel so stupid now typing this. The cynicism I used to have in my musical experiences, made me detest every release of them, and automatically let it influence my daily musical ways. For instance, every time a track from David Guetta came on the radio, I hated myself for thinking it was catchy. A few weeks ago, he released his album "Nothing But The Beat". I hated the fact he used the style of daft punk for his second CD. I hated even more, that some of those tracks sounded nice. Although the tracks made me feel good, I still couldn't stop hating the idealistic side of the CD. I hated the fact that I had a fantastic time when Calvin Harris played a ID at the time, and it turned out to be a David Guetta production.
And when I bought my tickets for ADE, I hated the fact that he joined the line-up.
Those last sentence are my point really. For no good reason at all, I let my excitement for a big night out with guys like Armin van Buuren, Markus Schulz and Fedde Le Grand get ruined because of a single artist. That unguided "hate" for something as a musical figure is so unnecessary, yet has such a big impact on your musical way of life.
But ironically, that hate is gone now by the artist who created it. I got sick of letting those negative vibes ruin a good track. "Smolengrad", a Swanky Tunes track. I loved it when it was an ID. I loved it during the SIZE event in Amsterdam. But when the track appeared to be a ST track, I lost all interest in it, and that is just plain ridiculous.
Today I listened to the Avicii podcast. I felt good. I felt happy. The music wasn't clever, but I did not let me hate that. I listened to it with a positive attitude. It doesn't always have to be genius or complex, as long as it sounds like there's effort and heart put in to it.
Criticism is crucial in any genre of music though. We need to stay critical to keep the quality of the music as high as possible. If it wasn't for criticism, music couldn't exist. Music lives on ingenuity and the need of quality. Criticism helps us separate the people who have heart for their musical careers and the ones who just want to make cash out of it. But criticism is not the same as hate. Hate just spread negativity and ruin the enjoyment ones could have.
All and all, I think today, I learned my biggest life lesson yet: If you think positive, you feel positive and live positive. And I have house music to thank for it.
Geen opmerkingen:
Een reactie posten