maandag 30 januari 2012

The Rex | In My Mind (Axwell Mix)



On this, the day of my birthday, Axwell has decided to reveal his first sign of life of this year. The track is also the first track of Axtone, who is said to be a lot more active with releases this year. Last year, the beloved label was a bit low on the frequency of new stuff, which made it seem a little bit irrelevant on my top 10 labels. In fact, Axtone is my favorite House label at the moment. It's quality control is otherworldly and it's artist even better! But the most important reason I like this label so much, is probably because of Ax. His touch is very noticeable in the organisation and presentation and no cost and effort is spared to make it the best around.

No surprise that I was well excited to see Axwell actually release something again from himself since his legendary single "Heart Is King". "In My Mind" is a single by Australian duo, Ivan Gough and Feenixpawl, who make their single release on the label with quite a bang. Axwell's mix is already speculated to be the biggest hit of the year and the buzz around it may just make that come true.

I will be honest with you, I didn't like this track at all at first. I seemed as if the track was simply following the happy House bandwagon, instead of making it's own trend like many Axtone releases tent to do in the past. I must have had played the teaser video, of which the new design by comix is superb by the way, ten times in a row. I simply did not know what to do with this track. It was semi-happy, and almost too easy to be liked. I couldn't stop playing this track because I really couldn't make my mind up. The vocals by Georgi Kay are absolutely brilliant, and the breakdown that accompanies it makes them even better. It sure has original features, but at the same time feels like a bandwagon track.

For days, I kept questioning it with good and bad sides until I got sick of it. So for a few days, when I was Axtone free, I suddenly got the urge to listen to it. I caught myself listening to it from 0:00 to it's last beat. After that, I would put something else on until I got the urge again.This repeated itself a couple of times until it hit me. This track is simply deliciously appealing. It's so insanely well put together and smooth that I just can't turn it down. It does follow certain trend, surely, but instead of copying them it improves them with tenfold. It's impossible not to like this. It's by far the track of my birthday.

The only dilemma I have now is the amount of points I should give Axwell. Since he is my favorite artist at the moment, it wouldn't be strange to think that he was mainly the reason I liked it so much. His touch is heard throughout the track. I have to wait for the original I guess.



Update:

As I'm writing this, this mix has grown to me even more! I keep returning to it at least once or twice a week. The original has been released and I have to say that Axwell did a pretty amazing job improving it. The orginal is way more rough and lacks the smoothness of the Axwell mix which makes me like it so much in the first place. The track itself is almost identical to the the mix in it's form though. I guess it's safe to say that Ivan, Feenixpawl and Axwell completed each other in this release. 50/50 would be the logical mathematical result. Once thing less to worry about!


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten