Another year has passed it seems, a year filled with tragedies but luckily also sweet sweet melodies. Of all the big things that happened in EDM in 2011, Avicii's career was the biggest. Not that long ago, this Swedish kid was just growing in the hatchery of house, a.k.a. Laidback Luke's forum. I personally didn't experienced that since I was not a member back then, but I did enjoyed his first single "Ryu". Now, 3 years later, Tim Berg has nothing less than 2 million dollars on his bank account for "Levels" alone. To make things clear, I don't like him as an artist. To be even more clear: I think Avicii destroyed house in 2011.
He didn't do this on purpose of course, but accidentally the guy changed the entire scene with a few tracks. Those tracks were such massive hits that waves of young artist began doing the same thing. Before I knew it, there were cheesy piano leads all over the place. Cheesy. Cheesy is the word that fits this year of House music the most. Every track that is labeled as genius, or is being played all over the world right now, is so goddamn pathetic compared to the House I listened to all those years ago. I don't feel like giving examples, but those who feel the same will know what I'm talking about while reading this. Everything has gotten so easy, so goddamn easy to the ears that every track nowadays has a standard radio mix to go with. Nowadays, in fucking talkshows and whatnot, I hear House as an opening track while the hostess is showing a new pair of Kitchen appliances. It's bugging the living hell out of me. House wasn't meant for on the public radio.
So how come it is now? America. America has finally opened up to the EDM scene, and instead of making it flourish, it has been completely demolished by The States. Nothing against America as a country, not at all, but the music scene is so fucking idiotic around there. Avicii got world attention thanks to that Leona whatshername case, where she "stole" his track. It couldn't have been timed any better since "Levels" was on it's way. Boom. Hit.
Now, thanks to the American music industry and the cheese that is House music at the moment, I'll be forced to see my favorite genre slowly die out on the radio and on the television. Marketing has took over the scene for good now, just look at the Ultra festival that is now bigger and more idiotic than ever.
For that very reason, I unknowingly switched to a genre I used to hate immensely: Trance. The sophisticated melodies, passionate community and equally talented artist make this a much more comfortable safe haven for now. Don't get me wrong, I can still always be woken up for good house anytime of the night, but the problem is that that kind of EDM is so goddamn hard to find nowadays.
So in other perspective, the downfall of House has given me a lot of good stuff too. Instead of strictly listening to pumping beats and melodies, I started exploring other genres like Indie or Elektronica like never before! Also, a new label I've discovered this year has completely turned around my life around. The label I'm speaking of is one of the most classiest and fun labels I've ever followed. The artist it has signed are incredibly gifted, and the fanbase is passionate and involved like I've seen never before. The label I'm talking about is "Anjunabeats", together with their daughter label "Anjunadeep". I came across a Solarity track when searching for tracks to go in my 2010 yearmix, and then I suddenly found myself into a completely different world.
I can believe myself for saying it, but in 2012 I'll be attending ASOT 550 in Den Bosch. It's weird to think that musical taste could change so radically in a year, but as I explained before a lot has happened in 2011 to made me convert to a different genre.
To end with on a positive note: There were still some gems, absolutely gems made though. Those tracks have put many smiles on my face and have kept both my love and hope for the house scene very much alive! One of those tracks made me so euphoric, that it has literally made my whole year.
That track and others, have been carefully selected into a list that defined my 2011. Music is my life, so this list has been my year ranked from 100 to a fantastic number 1. I really put much time into this, a year to be exact, because I've been selecting them every month, step by step with my top tens.
Well, enough talk more listing! I proudly present this years gems of the 2011 music scene of me and hopefully many others!
Geen opmerkingen:
Een reactie posten